Ready for the Worst
Key decisions that kept NYSA afloatand back on the job within 24 hours:
- Backing up data at the end of each business day and transferring it each day to an offsite storage location.
- Having a well-rehearsed evacuation plan.
- Having an alternate location,arranged for in advance, complete with ample, up-to-date computer and telecom equipment needed to continue daily operations.
- Holding regular disaster drills and dry runs of the company's emergency evacuation plan, which enabled all employees on the day of the disaster to feel confident about ignoring WTC security officials' advice to return to their offices and stay put.
- Empowering local managers to take charge if necessary, with only general guidance about which priorities to consider first when thrown into a crisis.
Charting a New Course
What 258 information technology executives say they'll do differently now.
14.8%: ESTABLISH MULTIPLE GEOGRAPHICALLY-DISPERSED WEB SERVERS
27.8%: BE MORE DILIGENT ABOUT BACKING UP CORPORATE DATA
50.5%: BETTER TRAIN EMPLOYEES IN CRISIS RESPONSE