Acer Says It's Not Killing the Netbook in Favor of the Tablet
Acer officials are denying that they plan to phase out the company's netbook lines as Acer begins to also focus on the tablet market. Additionally, the officials said in a statement that, for the moment, tablets "based on [Intel's] Sandy Bridge are not yet foreseen."
Citing Taiwan sales manager Lu Bing-hsian, Computer World reported Jan. 17 that tablets would eventually replace the lightweight mobile netbooks that Acer helped to make a PC market phenomenon.
The site quoted Lu as saying, "They are aimed at phasing out netbooks. That's the direction of the market."
Computer World additionally reported that Acer has 7- and 10-inch tablet models planned, both of which will run Google's Android operating system and Intel's new line of Sandy Bridge processors. The new processors, which were released earlier this year at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show and offer integrated CPU and graphics capabilities, would theoretically enable the tablets to outperform the slew of recently introduced tablets running Nvidia's Tegra 2 chips.
For more, read the eWeek article: Acer Denies Phasing Out Netbooks for Tablets.