Key Questions to Ask
Before jumping into an open-source implementation, consult your fellow executives on these key issues.
Ask your CEO:
- How well will the procurement and use of open-source software fit into our corporate culture?
Ask your operations group:
- For which applications or functions do we stand to gain the most from an open-source implementation?
- Which are the most viable open-source platforms for those areas?
- Do we have the in-house expertise to fix problems that might arise with open-source applications?
- If we don't have such expertise, what would we need to do to get it?
Ask your CSO or CISO:
- Do you have any concerns about the security of any open-source platforms, and, if so, what do you recommend we do to bolster security if we implement open source?