When an Employee Loses a Work Phone

 
 
By Karen A. Frenkel  |  Posted 05-06-2014 Email Print this article Print
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Absolute Software's "2013 U.K. Mobile Enterprise Risk Survey Summary Report" focuses on the state of work phone policies and workers' views about their responsibilities regarding corporate data on mobile devices. The poll finds an "obvious disconnect" between employees' perceptions of data loss and the actual risk to their organizations. The Absolute Software report says employees may think the data on their devices are worth $500, yet most data breach penalties cost millions. The results indicate that IT continues to face many challenges implementing and enforcing mobile use guidelines. When asked about appropriate penalties if a worker loses company data, for example, 25 percent of the United Kingdom enterprise workers say there should be no punishment because data security is not their responsibility, the report says. The online survey was conducted in November 2013 among 750 adults who work a United Kingdom company with 1,000 or more employees. To read the full report, click here.

 
 
 
  • Work Phone Ownership

    74% of respondents say their employer owns their mobile work phone. 71% say their work phone usage is separate from personal use.
    Work Phone Ownership
  • Personal, Private Data on Work Phone

    55% of respondents say some data on their work phone is for their eyes only. Of those respondents: 25% say some data on their work phone is private, 13% say all of the data on their work phone is private , 11% say about half of the data on their work phone is private, 6% say more than half of the data on their work phone is private
    Personal, Private Data on Work Phone
  • How Much Data Is Replaceable?

    73% of respondents say all or most of the data on their phone is replaceable. And 7% say they cannot replace any of the data on their phone
    How Much Data Is Replaceable?
  • Protecting Data on Work Phones

    Asked to rank the types of information on their mobile work phone that they would protect most, 24% rank work contacts first, 18% rank personal contacts first, and 13% rank work e-mail first.
    Protecting Data on Work Phones
  • Perceived Value of Phone Data

    Respondents place a fairly low value on their phone's data. 71% rate their phone's corporate data as worth less than $500 and 77% rate their phone's personal data as worth less than $500. None consider corporate data priceless, but 9% consider personal data priceless.
    Perceived Value of Phone Data
  • Company Procedures for Lost Phones

    41% say their company has a clear policy about the loss of a work phone. The remaining 59% either don't know what their company procedure is, say it is unclear, or say their company lacks a policy.
    Company Procedures for Lost Phones
  • Penalty if Employer Leaks Personal Data

    96% of respondents say their employer should face penalties for losing their personal data. 77% say the penalties should be tough, including legal action.
    Penalty if Employer Leaks Personal Data
  • Penalty If Employee Loses Company Data

    77% of respondents say there should be some workplace ramification if they lose company data. However, 23% say data security is not their responsibility. According to four in 10 employees, the most appropriate consequence to an employee who has lost data is for the company to restrict or monitor data access.
    Penalty If Employee Loses Company Data
  • When Work Phones Are Lost

    85% say they have never lost a work phone. Of those that have lost a work phone, 79% say they noticed the loss within four hours.
    When Work Phones Are Lost
  • Lost Phone, Unchanged Security Habits

    67% of respondents say they have not altered their security habits after losing a device.
    Lost Phone, Unchanged Security Habits
 
 
 
 
 
Karen A. Frenkel writes about technology and innovation and lives in New York City.

 
 
 
 
 
 

Submit a Comment

Loading Comments...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date