Careers Slideshow: Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm MarketBy Ericka Chickowski | Posted 07-24-2009
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market
1. Security This remains one of the most high-demand tech categories, particularly for those with CISSP certification. However, just the cert won't do; most firms want five years of experience to go along with it.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 2
2. Virtualization As virtualization has grown to be ubiquitous in the enterprise, IT departments need people to manage and optimize their virtualized environments. Dice reports that those with the VMWare Certified Professional are in high demand.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 3
3. Java/J2EE Online developers with proficiency in Java, particularly with J2EE, can still find good prospects within the market. Experience is valued, but Silver suggests that Sun's Certified Java programmer (SCJP) offers a leg up on the competition.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 4
4. SAP Just before the economy tanked, SAP pros in seriously short supply. While supply has caught up a bit, there's still heavy demand for experienced SAP workers. This is one category where experience is much more important than certs.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 5
5. .NET Employers are asking for developers who've been given the seal of approval through the Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) certification. This combo cert shows proficiency in Visual Studio and .NET Framework coding, and indicates that the coder has two years of experience.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 6
6. Database Administrators The demand for DBAs still remains high, particularly for specialists with certification and training in one or two specific database management systems, as many hiring managers are looking to fill in experience gaps.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 7
7. Oracle As one of the biggest of the database bunch, Oracle skills in particular deserve special attention. Dice sees lots of interest in searches for candidates with the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) cert.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 8
8. Project Manager/Management IT organizations are still starting new projects. They just need to get more bang for their buck these days, and they hope to do so through better project management. Interest in Project Management Professional (PMP) certified employee remains high.
Nine Hot IT Jobs in a Lukewarm Market - Page 9
9. Sharepoint The enthusiasm for collaboration has reached fever pitch, and enterprises are in dire need of those who understand market-leader Microsoft Sharepoint to implement, extend and troubleshoot the complicated tools in this software.