Careers Slideshow: Tech Job UpdatesBy Edward Cone | Posted 06-10-2009
Tech Job Updates
1. The national unemployment rate has inched closer to double digits, now reaching 9.4%.
Tech Job Updates - Page 2
2. The number of jobs lost dropped by 33% month-over-month, clocking in at 345,000 jobs lost for the month of May.
Tech Job Updates - Page 3
3. BLS reports that among all technology-related jobs, the economy lost 57,200 positions.
Tech Job Updates - Page 4
4. Certain segments within the IT industry actually gained positions, notably the Management/Technical Consulting Services category, which has seen a rise of 2,300 jobs over the last two months.
Tech Job Updates - Page 5
5. "Clearly, job security is more about where you work in IT, not if you work in IT," says David Foote, analyst for IT employment watchdog Foote Partners about recent trends. "The recession has had minimal impact on demand for IT skills and jobs in the areas such as architecture, project management, business process, security, communications, (and) several ERP and infrastructure specializations."
Tech Job Updates - Page 6
6. Among recruiters polled by Dice.com, 43% said they thought another round of layoffs is likely for IT workers.
Tech Job Updates - Page 7
7. 57% said salaries for new IT jobs are down year-over-year.
Tech Job Updates - Page 8
8. Approximately 50% reported that the time to fill IT jobs has lengthened.
Tech Job Updates - Page 9
9. Of those who reported longer hiring cycles, 65% blamed it on caution related to the economy and 22% reported there was no sense of urgency to fill positions.
Tech Job Updates - Page 10
10. More than half of hiring managers report a significant uptick in the number of employees seeking IT positions over the last six months.
Tech Job Updates - Page 11
11. Among the good signs, 90% of recruiters said they have at least one difficult-to-find skill or position to fill in IT.