IT Management Slideshow: Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View

By Don Reisinger  |  Posted 11-15-2010

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View

47%Nearly half of end-user respondents say that either their company has no acceptable-use policy for personal computers, smartphones or cell phones (23%), or that they have no idea whether or not such policies exist (24%).

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 2

56%More than half of end-user respondents say they don't always comply with IT policy; 34% say they always comply.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 2

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 3

It's About ProductivityThe main reason respondents fail to comply? The banned programs or applications help them complete their job.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 3

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 4

20%One fifth of respondents say that they flout IT policy for one simple reason: lack of enforcement.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 4

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 5

What's Banned at Work? (% respondents)Online games (44%)Social networking services (41%)Twitter (35%)Blogging (31%)Instant Messaging (28%)

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 5

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 6

Banned Devices (% respondents)Non-company issued mobile phones (18%)iPod (18%)iPad (15%)Mac (13%)

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 6

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 7

Lighten UpNearly two thirds (64%) of end-user respondents say that companies should "loosen" the grip on social-media use in the workplace. They say: Allowing social-media use would improve work-life balance.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 7

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 8

No Respect?24% of end-user respondents say their IT teams get no respect in the workplace; the remainder (76%) say IT is respected.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 8

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 9

Communication, PleaseOver one-third (35%) of end-user respondents say they receive communication about their company's IT policy about once every quarter; 32% say policy is communicated only once a year.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 9

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 10

44%44% of end-user respondents believe their companies educate them on the importance of complying with IT policy.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 10

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 11

59%59% of end-user respondents say they have the ability to use video while at work.

Acceptable Use Policies: The End-User View - Page 11