IT Management Slideshow: E-mail Management LagsBy Edward Cone | Posted 05-15-2009
- 1,109 AIIM members interviewed28 % from organizations with over 5,000 employees
- 29 % from organizations with 500 to 5,000 employees
- 34 % from organizations with 10 to 500 employees
Survey demographics - Page 2
Problems with E-mailTop problems cited with using e-mail as a business tool:
- "sheer overload"
- "finding and recovering past e-mails"
- "keeping track of actions"
Survey demographics - Page 3
Time SinkRespondents took an average of 1.5 hours per day to process e-mails. Approximately 2/3 process work-related e-mails out of the office and 23 % do so after hours.
Survey demographics - Page 4
Unsure About RecordkeepingOver 50 % of those interviewed are "not confident" or "slightly confident" that important business e-mails are recorded, complete and retrievable.
Survey demographics - Page 5
Archiving Remains a MysteryAbout 64 % of respondents don't think their organization knows the difference between easily-retrievable and searchable archive and more thorough back-up processes.
Survey demographics - Page 6
Outlook Archiving LaxApproximately 45 % of those interviewed stated their organizations have no policy on Outlook Archive settings and 44 % of organizations fail to put archive.pst files in a networked and backed-up location
Survey demographics - Page 7
Deletion IssuesOnly 16 % of organizations have retention policies that would justify deleted e-mails, while 23 % of respondents think they would have gaps from deleted e-mails
Survey demographics - Page 8
- 19 % of organizations capture important e-mails in an e-mail management or enterprise content management system
- 18 % print and file important e-mails
- 45 % put important e-mails in non-shared personal Outlook folders
Survey demographics - Page 9
- 1/3 of organizations have no policy to deal with legal discovery and 1/4 would take over a month to produce e-mail documents
- 40 % of respondents believe their organizations would have to search back-up tapes for e-mail during discovery
Survey demographics - Page 10
E-mail Management Plans
- 10 % of those interviewed have completed an enterprise-wide e-mail management initiative
- 20 % are in the process of rolling out such a project
- 29 % are planning a project in the next two years
- 17 % have no plans for a project