Trends Slideshow: Big Changes Ahead for ITBy Edward Cone | Posted 04-26-2010
Big Changes Ahead for IT
1. Fewer than 25% of employees currently within IT will remain.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 2
2. Many activities will devolve to business units, be consolidated with other central functions such as HR and finance, or be externally sourced.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 3
3. CIOs face the choice of expanding to lead a business shared service group, or seeing their position shrink to managing technology delivery.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 4
4. Several trends in IT demand and supply will change how organizations use technology to create value, and the roles, structure and skills of the IT function.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 5
5. Demand Side: Rise of the Knowledge Worker Widespread transaction automation and outsourcing, and the resulting shift in retained skills, mean almost everyone is becoming a knowledge worker.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 6
6. Demand Side: Ubiquitous DataThe rise of "smart" mobile devices and "ubiquitous sensing" will drive an exponential increase in data volume and throughput.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 7
7. Demand Side: Social Media The way customers and consumers learn about products and interact with companies is changing fundamentally.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 8
8. Demand Side: Emerging Market Growth Shifting global demand means emerging markets will be main source of growth, eventually reaching the scale of developed markets.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 9
9. Demand Side: Efficiency Shortfalls The corporate center (IT, Finance, HR, Supply Chain, Procurement, etc.) is reaching the limits of efficiency in its current functionally-oriented form.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 10
10. Demand Side: Tech-Savvy Workforce Technology knowledge and confidence in the workforce is broadening but losing its depth (more employees understand how to exploit technology, fewer have a deep technical expertise).
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 11
11. Supply Side: Technology as a Service Infrastructure and applications are becoming available as virtualized, configurable, and scalable services in the cloud, or will to adopt licensing structures to mimic a service.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 12
12. Supply Side: The Industrialized, Externalized Back Office Industry standards will emerge for back-office business processes that are then delivered by external providers.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 13
13. Supply Side: A Blueprint for Service Delivery ITILv3 provides a pathway to reorienting IT around service delivery.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 14
14. Supply Side: Desktop Transformation Virtualization, SaaS, and unified communications combined with greater workforce mobility triggers a "transformation of the desktop," enabling device-agnostic service delivery.
Big Changes Ahead for IT - Page 15
15. Important but not transformative trends: Green IT, greater government intervention in the economy.