Virtualization Slideshow: VMworld Focuses on ManagementBy Ericka Chickowski | Posted 09-11-2009
VMworld Focuses on Management
1. Security is a big challenge. HyTrust won accolades with a security tool that includes access control and template-based configuration management. The latest iteration added virtualized infrastructure policy development and enforcement to its access-control platform.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 2
2. With capacity analysis and granular management functions to enhance performance of virtualized servers, vKernel's new Optimization Pack is meant to increase the percentage of virtualized infrastructure.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 3
3. Hewlett-Packard is giving customers more power to run their VMware virtualized infrastructure holistically with HP Insight Control for VMware vCenter. The embedded tool gives administrator access to physical servers directly through vCenter.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 4
4. Wyse Technology's "Borg" helps configure and optimize clients for virtualized desktop technology from Microsoft, VMware or Citrix. Scheduled for release this year, rich media application workload management is among its features.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 5
5. HP is also jumping on the VDI management bandwagon. The HP Virtual Desktop Reference Architecture for VMware View is designed to help give the visibility necessary to tackle performance bottlenecks.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 6
6. CA announced end-to-end management support of VMware environments with integrated tools for vSphere 4. Included are infrastructure health monitoring, application performance management, backup management and access control.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 7
7. NetApp's SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure integrates with VMware environments to manage virtual machine backups. NetApp also rolled out two new plug-ins for vCenter, to manage NetApp storage and simplify the cloning of virtual machines.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 8
8. EMC is trying to help companies move to private clouds via its new Ionix systems management tools, which were actually rolled out in July but given a wider demo audience at the show.
VMworld Focuses on Management - Page 9
9. VMware didn't leave show-goers empty-handed at its own conference: it announced that it will release a new capacity management utility in late 2009 and a new configuration management control utility next year for its vCenter Product Family.