iPad More Popular Than Android Smartphones in the Enterprise: Good

Apple's iPad share in the enterprise market is greater than Google's Android smartphone market share, according to Good Technology's mobile device data report. Apple iOS is also leading in net new activations.

Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPad isn't just the hottest consumer tablet in the market; it's also beating all Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android-based "Honeycomb" tablets and smartphones combined in the nascent enterprise market for mobile devices.

The iPad, which sold more than 28 million units worldwide, accounted for 95 percent of business tablet activations, according to Good Technology's latest data report on mobile devices in the workplace.

Android tablets, such as the Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, declined to 3.1 percent of overall tablet activations for the quarter.

Perhaps few people are shocked by this; there are myriad tales of weak Honeycomb tablet sales, with influential blogs such as Daring Fireball reporting that only 1.35 million Honeycomb slates have sold.

However, Good said the number of iPad and iPad 2 activations in the enterprise exceeded the total amount of Android smartphones activated for Q2 by a count of 27.2 percent to 24 percent, respectively.

Android smartphones represented nearly 33 percent of all smartphone (non-tablet) activations compared to iPhone's 66 percent.

More broadly, Good also said Apple iOS, the platform on which the iPad and iPhone is built, represented 78.7 percent of net new activations, with Android accounting for the remaining 21.3 percent.

By comparison, Good said in April iOS devices represented just under 70 percent of net new activations from January 1 through March 31 this year. That was before the launch of the iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZW).

Good surmised that the rise in iOS device representations is partially due to Apple selling the iPad and iPhone through AT&T (NYSE:T) and Verizon which began selling the iPhone 4 in February and sold 2.3 million iPhones in its Q2.

This article was originally published on 07-25-2011
eWeek eWeek

Have the latest technology news and resources emailed to you everyday.

Click for a full list of Newsletterssubmit