How New York City's CITIServ Program Works
The New Reality for Customer Engagement
In full, the CITIServ program offers:
- Application Hosting Services: standard, dedicated and virtual hosting environments with a variety of service levels, processing and memory capacities;
- Network Services: access to the City's wired network (CityNet), voice over internet protocol (VoIP), video conferencing, and New York City's wireless network;
- Data and Storage Services: modern, flexible storage solutions for all hosted applications;
- Collaboration Services: email with archiving, BlackBerry servicing, eFax, and instant messaging; and,
- Citywide Service Desk: a 24x7, convenient, single point of contact for end users to address IT support needs, IT issue resolution, as well as ticket generation and easily accessible modern tracking tools.
To ensure timely and effective oversight for each aspect of the CITIServ effort, the program has defined seven key workstreams, each led by a single point of accountability, all of which are orchestrated via a central project management office. They are:
- Service Offerings: constructs and maintains a complete online catalog of IT services
- Service Delivery & Support: develops operational processes to provide future state IT services
- Transition Services: with agency collaboration, develops methodology and project timelines for agency migrations
- Technical Architecture & Facilities: identifies and develops appropriate facilities
- Financial Services: develops cost/benefit tracking and funding models
- Human Resources: provides cross-agency human resources and labor relations representation and planning
- Communications: works to keep all stakeholders apprised of CITIServ's projects, future plans, and shared achievements
The CITIServ fact sheet describes the undertaking as "a collaborative, multi-agency effort that employs rigorous and repeatable processes to ensure transparency and predictability to impacted agencies." The program entails three key steps:
- Agency Deep Dive Assessments: For each agency, the consolidation process starts with a "deep dive" assessment to evaluate the agency's current IT environment. Working closely with agency staff and leadership, agency processes and best practices are assessed and existing applications and assets are thoroughly inventoried. The assessment will identify where an agency's business needs can be aligned to specific services in the suite of DoITT's IT service offerings as well as establish baselines to inform the project plan for an agency's migration into the CITIServ environment.
- Agency Migration Plan: Following the deep dive assessment, the CITIServ team works closely with agency staff and leadership to develop an appropriate timeline and schedule for migration. Migration schedules will account for agency peak operating periods and other circumstances and will be coordinated to ensure minimal disruption on agency operations.
- Agency Migration: Following the Migration Plans, DoITT will work with each agency to ensure an effective and seamless migration. Migrations may involve physical relocation of hardware, software and IT personnel to the DoITT CITIServ environment.
DoITT establishes the City's IT strategic direction, security policies and standards; procures citywide IT services, and evaluates emerging technologies; provides project management, application development and quality assurance services; maintains the City's official website NYC.gov, new media development and operations, and Geographic Information Systems; operates the City's data center, the dedicated wireless network, the wired network, the Citywide Service Desk, and telecommunications systems; administers telecommunications franchise contracts providing fiber, cable television, public pay telephones, and mobile telecom equipment installed on City property and streets; administers the 311 Customer Service Center; and fosters public-private partnerships to improve IT service delivery.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...