The New Reality for Customer Engagement
Date: 5/31/2018 @ 1 p.m. ET
A well-managed storage architecture provides the solid infrastructure on which critical business initiatives dependent on flexible and rapid access to transparently available data can be built. The move to make storage a companywide utility requires a variety of new technologies to create a stable storage platform.
Effective Storage Allows the Business To
- Provide users with continuous uptime.
- Deliver data to users more rapidly, and in the formats they require.
- Make more flexible decisions about moving and merging workgroups.
- More readily establish new data-intensive business initiatives.
- Gives the organization a rationale for centralizing and standardizing resources.
- Provides a competitive advantage to the organization by making it more agile.
- Saves money through better use of existing hardware, and by allowing companies to buy less expensive hardware.
- Technology is in flux, with industrywide standards still emerging.
- Some technologies, such as Storage Area Networks, can be initially more expensive, especially for smaller companies.
- May create frictions between departments that are required to merge their storage resources.
enterprisestorageforum.com EarthWeb site devoted to large-scale storage issues.
www.networkstorageu.com Variety of online courses on enterprise storage (some vendor involvement).
snia.org Web site of the vendor-sponsored Storage Network Industry Association.
networkbuyersguide.com/netstorguide Series of online guides provided by Strategic Research Corp.
searchstorage.com Storage-specific search site.
storagemagazine.com Exclusive focus on storage management strategies.
EMC (emc.com): Top vendor of networked storage and storage management software, and an OEM to many other storage companies. Offerings include CLARiiON NAS, Celerra HighRoad and ESN Manager for SANs.
IBM (www.storage.ibm.com/snetwork): Number two in networked storage, third in storage management software. Broad product range includes NAS 100 through 300 line, SAN Switches and iSCSI NAS box.
Veritas (veritas.com): Second in storage management software. ServPoint software can be used with industry-standard hardware to create SAN and NAS devices.
Compaq (www.compaq.com/storage): Third in networked storage. Rechristened HP StorageWorks line includes NAS1000 departmental to NAS Executor E7000 enterprise unit, as well as a variety of SAN products.
Virtualization: The process of separating the formerly merged components of operating system, application processing and storage.
Network-Attached Storage (NAS): Allows storage devices to be connected directly to the network, to be shared by servers and users over an IP.
Storage Area Network (SAN): A pool of storage devices managed in a separate network based on the Fibre Channel scheme.
Storage Area Management (SAM): An emerging set of software components that allow IT departments to manage all network storage as a pool of resources.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...