XML Fact Sheet
EUC with HCI: Why It Matters
XML Fact Sheet
|Click image to download printable version of fact sheet.|
By giving companies the ability to share data both internally and externally, XML can provide a significant boost to strategies based on reengineering internal and external business processes, rationalizing supply chains and connecting more seamlessly with customers. But Byzantine standards have been a drag on adoption, so jump in with your eyes wide open.
XML Lets Companies...
- Share documents between workgroups
- Generate standardized invoices and other forms inexpensively
- Access databases with different formats
- Build flexible Web sites accessible through a variety of media
- Define and automate shared business processes
- Cost reduction: Moving from paper-based to automated processes can reduce labor costs.
- Speed: Implementing XML can speed up the execution of business processes.
- Standardization: In industries where standards are solidified, trading partners can initiate new relationships with minimal resources.
- Lack of standardization: Many industries haven't yet agreed on standards.
- Lack of interindustry support: Few industries have standards for interacting with other industriesand won't for some time.
- Too much flexibility: XML is so flexible that users are tempted to try solving too many problems at once.
- RosettaNet: A consortium of more than 400 companies building standards for the electronics industry.
- FIXML: Extends the Financial Information eXchange (FIX) protocol for securities transactions.
- ACORD: Standards for the insurance industry.
- COVISINT: Auto industry consortium setting supply chain XML and e-commerce standards.
- Microsoft Corp's. BizTalk Server: Currently, the leading XML vendor.
- Software AG's Tamino XML Server: The leading native XML database system. Has been an early implementor of W3C's XQuery.
- Ipedo Inc.'s Ipedo XML DB 2.0: A native XML database system that has won recognition for its data integration capabilities.
- Ixiasoft's TEXTML Server: A native XML database emphasizing flexible, dynamic information storage and retrieval of XML documents.
- X-Hive Corp.'s X-Hive/DB: A database that supports multiple versions of XML documents.
- dbXML: A native XML database for use by open source developers produced by the dbXML Project.
The World Wide Web Consortium's central XML site
A site for XML standards coordination, sponsored by OASIS
Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards, a sponsor of ebXML
An O'Reilly & Assoc. Inc. XML portal
A reference list of XML standards and activities
Insurance industry standards
Electronics industry XML standards
Open Applications Group, the sponsor of 122 XML standards
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...